Monday, October 24, 2011

halloween crows

I did a little decorating for Halloween this year. I put my scarecrow boy out like I do every year. If your're new here, or you just don't know, I made this little guy years ago. A favorite pair of Osh Gosh overalls the kids outgrew were the inspiration for making him. I couldn't get rid of those last worn-out pair of striped overalls. It makes for a cute fall decoration and a bit of a keepsake too. So, the little guy, my terra cotta pumpkin that I found last year, and a few black crows that I had also bought last year for our 'dining room haunted halloween' affair, welcome guests to our front courtyard. 

The black crows really are fake looking, when you look at them.

The problem is...they kinda look back at you. And, with our situation with creatures around here, real live creatures... my placement of these posers has not been very favorable with the youngest daughter and the Dad.

Especially this one by the front gate. Okay, I admit...I did put it there thinking it might frighten someone just a bit. But it's Halloween, right? And, I don't go through this gate very often, so I'm not really affected by the fact that...when you come home after dark and you reach down to open the gate you just might jump a little when you catch a glimpse of this black feathery fake crow!

It does seem a bit crazy that me, the person who can't walk anywhere through the yard without looking down or around her feet constantly, or the one who won't even walk the path to the studio at night without a flashlight, would even think to put these birds out at all, right?

Right.

But I did.

They are even in the house. And the girl does not like them very well. 

I wonder why?


The little beady eyes perhaps? The feathers that look real? The little claw feet?

It's the fact that fake is not really fake around here when it comes to scary creatures. A misplaced black garden hose looks like a 10 foot snake when you aren't paying attention. A branch from a tree rubbing across your hair feels like a bat has flown in. An unruly vine rubbing against your leg as you walk by makes you think a lizard just crawled up your leg. Stepping on a sharp cookie crumb on the kitchen floor makes you jump because you think it is a scorpion. A rabbit scurrying through the bushes makes you think a javelina is close by.

So really, fake crows sitting around for Halloween may not be my best idea. Because, one of these nights, I'm going to forget I put them out and I'm going to scare myself half to death!

remember...if you click on the highlighted lines above you can catch up on old news.

3 comments:

  1. The pictures alone are creepy. I can't imagine encountering one in person on a dark night. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four and twenty black birds baked in a pie....

    Just how many are there in and out of your house?

    ReplyDelete
  3. More than four... less than twenty. Not enough for a pie. Although... we do like pie! I'd say about 10...if I were counting.

    ReplyDelete