Look who we saw yesterday.
We have not seen any bobcats in our yard for quite some time. I was glad that spring came and went, without a family taking up residence, like they did last year. I saw an adult once or twice walk through very casually and quickly, but never noticed any hanging around. A few weeks ago however, I saw what I thought was a toddlerish aged one up along the fence where the javelina's are usually spotted. I was in Leah's room at the time and when I pointed it out to her, she said she had seen a couple of them a time or two. That was a quick sighting, as it snuck off through the bushes. Then, shortly after that, I found the remnants of a bunny breakfast in the yard. Our rabbit population is now...zero. Yesterday, right after lunch, these two were enjoying the grass in the backyard. Assuming the larger one is the mom, she is actually somewhat smaller than the adults we have had before. She was alert to the fact that some of us ventured out on the patio to take a closer look and was pretty quick to take off, leaving the small one alone for a bit. I took these pictures through the window, as it offers a closer, more protected view.Click on the picture of this young one to get a closer look. I think it has the funniest "frown" on its face. Plus, I'm not sure if it was because of the angle, the fact that it was snapped through a window or the shaded lighting, but it has an odd color to its eyes. Seconds after this photo, it was up and over the fence, following the larger one out of the yard.
It was fun to see them again. I like these quick visits. Admittedly, I have missed seeing them just a little.
Whew, "fall" has arrived! The nights have been getting down in the 50's and into the 80's and low 90's during the day. Not quite a fall where there is frost on the ground in the early mornings and the leaves are turning all those fantastic shades of yellow, but I will take this break from the triple digit heat that has been persistent for all these months. It feels great to have the doors and windows open... letting in the fresh air.
Happy monday!
We are getting some cooler relief here as well. We got 3 1/2 inches of welcome rain. Lost the electricity Sunday morning though. I guess the electrical lines just didn't know what to do with the moisture.
ReplyDelete