Friday, October 7, 2011

scones


I told you I was going to make some scones to go with the plum jam that I made. They are our favorite breakfast treat. Perhaps you would like to make some too. It is easy. They are not fancy. But, they are enjoyable. Always.


Breakfast Scones

2 c. unsifted flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
3 T. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. milk
1 large egg
1 t. vanilla

1. Pre-heat oven to 425 F. Grease baking sheet. (I actually use a baking stone, no greasing necessary.) In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. With pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

2. In small bowl, combine milk, egg and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and mix with fork until mixture clings together and forms a soft dough.

3. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead gently 5 or 6 times. With lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 7 inch round. Cut into 8 wedges.

4. Place scones, 1 inch apart on baking sheet. Pierce tops with tines of fork.

5. Bake scones 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.


We love them best with plum jam, but some other favorites are apricot jam or honey. I have added blueberries to the dough before baking and that it good too. The original recipe had chocolate chips in them which I have tried, but plain is our scone of choice! A little butter to the warm scone and then your favorite topping will make you very happy.

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Nothing like teasing us with the tasty paring with plum jam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made some myself on Sunday morning. Just as yummy with store-bought grape jelly.

    ReplyDelete