Friday, April 11, 2014

oh you argentinian cactus you

are amazing!

We have been keeping a close eye on this cactus the last few days. I know I did a post last year when it bloomed but, I think it is worthy of another one. I'm only sharing 21 of the gazillion pictures that I took.  I just think this is probably the prettiest cactus bloom and we are seeing them all around town. Just incredible. They take a couple of weeks from the time the first little blossom bud appears until it blooms. Then.. it blooms at night! It is a night cactus bloomer. The blossom will only last through the next day and if it is in full sun, not even that long. The fragrance is so strong and sweet. Just an all around winner!

This was yesterday. The three large buds have looked like this for about two days. I've gone out every night with a flashlight, patiently waiting for it to bloom.

Yesterday afternoon.

Last night at about 10:30 I went out and kaboom!... there it was.
Next time, when I know that it is close, I think perhaps I will sit out in a chair and watch it...I wonder if it would ever bloom right in front of my eyes!?


We used the flashlight setting on my phone to give it a little beam of light. The flash on the camera just washes out the blossom.
 Gorgeous...don't you think.

We tried a little back light affect and although you can actually see my phone, I think it is a cool pic!

 Here it is this morning in its glory. These flowers are each about 10 inches in diameter.

I just love how the outside petals are rosy pink and the inside so pure and white.

The detail inside is amazing. Ah mazing!















I wish you could see it in person! Especially you, my oldest sister who has enjoyed text pictures off and on, while I have been waiting this week...anticipating the bloom!

Yesterday, while driving by a nursery, I noticed rows of these cactus blooming. I'm tempted to go back today and actually go in just to see these by the dozens. Can you imagine?

So pretty.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely wish I were there! Big sister in Texas.

    ReplyDelete