We have this little cluster of pots filled with succulents that sits right off the patio in the backyard. That big pot in front has been flourishing. I've finally gotten the right combination of sunlight, water and fertilizer to help it to grow big and lush.
Or, shall I say, big and delicious! We have noticed the rabbits like to eat the pansies and we have pondered about the succulents and a few other cactus that have nibble marks occasionally. We thought it was probably the pack rats that lurk in the dark nights.
But, the other day I spotted the culprit that, in just one day, managed to do this:
Lovely jagged edges on many of the leaves. And I caught him red-handed...nibbling away...
or shall I say...I caught him red-beaked!!
Now, I didn't actually manage to snap a photo of him in the act, but it was this cardinal. And the next day, he was sitting back in a different plant, while the female was feasting on the succulent. He was keeping watch while she was getting her share. I was so surprised that it was the cardinals! So, I've put some bird seed out again hoping that they will be encouraged to eat it rather than the plants. And here I thought it was probably the rabbits or the ugly rats. Nope...the beautiful cardinals!
Now I am still wondering about this one...
Do you suppose I will catch something red-handed nibbling away?
Or shall I say red-beaked?
No comments:
Post a Comment