Thursday, April 3, 2014

winter in spring

 There aren't too many places in Arizona where you will find a sign like this over the road.


I drove up to Flagstaff yesterday and the closer I got, the more I thought..."hmmm, I've seen clouds like this before!" Memories of winter and spring driving in Colorado came rushing back to me. Fond, fond memories.  And then I saw the flashing sign overhead. I slowed to a stop since oddly, there weren't any cars visible behind me. Maybe, it was because they were all driving the other way! Away from the storm. Within minutes of the sign, a few little spits of rain on the windshield appeared.  Then with each mile northward, the spits became snowflakes. Lovely white snow! I was a bit excited actually.

When I got to Flagstaff, it was coming down pretty hard. Big wet flakes! And really, let's admit, there's nothing quite as lovely as snow resting on a pine tree. Well, there are many lovely things, but that is just one of them.

From where we live and Flagstaff, there is about a 4.500 difference in elevation and just a short two hour drive. It is amazing that there is such a difference in weather and vegetation in just two hours. I picked a nice bouquet of roses and other flowers from our yard to bring to Leah before leaving our house. They curled their edges while dodging snowflakes before getting into her apartment! But, it added a little springtime to her kitchen table. Snowfall has been very light this year so it's a welcome sight  and the moisture to the ground is a relief.

Earlier in the week I was wearing shorts. This morning I borrowed one of her down jackets before going outside. I even had to dig the scraper out from under the seat to clean the frozen snow off my windshield! Now that is something I can honestly say I have not missed!

It is a special treat to see snowfall on April 2.

One day earlier and some might have said it was an April fool's joke!

1 comment:

  1. It is a winter treat in spring since you can return to your backyard oasis filled with the pretty colors of Spring. Those poor Minnesotans being interviewed on the news are not happy with their winter treat in spring. They've had enough snow resting on pine branches. Enjoy your visit in Flagstaff.

    ReplyDelete