Sunday, May 9, 2010

this mother's day was a good one

Today was my twenty first mother's day. I've loved every one of them.

Although, just my two wonderfully thoughtful daughter's were home to celebrate with me, it was a day I will not soon forget. The college boy called to wish me a happy day and the dad was working.

First thing this morning I was treated to a delicious breakfast out on the back patio. This was the first time to have a mother's day breakfast sitting out by a swimming pool. Nice!
Leah prepared this great feast. A bowl of vanilla yogurt, with crunchy granola, topped with fresh strawberries. She had thick slices of locally grown grapefruit, which were very tasty.

Then, orange juice and a cute little grapefruit-section-sentiment finished off the meal. How sweet is that?

Then, this evening, Rachel prepared a delicious dinner. She marinated some steaks, baked some potatoes and seasoned thick zucchini slices. Added to that, she made a yummy caprice salad and also a little bearnaise sauce for the steaks. She fired up the grill and put the steaks and zucchini on and was determined to do it all by herself. Everything was going really well. I got the big thumbs up when I brought out my camera.

And then... flames started to shoot up around the steak. I got a distress call for help and told her not to worry, it was just the extra marinade dripping down and catching on fire. It was just breezy enough that the flames were rising and the smoke was billowing up and getting into her face. The next Bobby Flayme?

The smoke was blowing into her eyes . She was having trouble seeing because it was making her eyes burn so badly. (Don't worry, I was monitoring the situation very closely... through my lens.) Everything was going okay, except for the smoke and watery eyes. I went back inside for a minute to check on her sauce she had on the stove.

When I went back out, this is what I saw. A solution to the burning, smoke filled eyes. What a crack up! I laughed so hard. It seemed to work pretty well except for the fact that her eyes were watering so badly that the goggles were forming condensation droplets on the inside!!! What a goof!

And she had a little trouble actually getting the zucchini from the grill to the platter. This is one that got away. Almost.

It was a delicious dinner with a little side show of sorts. She finished it off with sliced strawberries over angel food cake topped with whipped cream.
Aren't my kiddos the best?

Why yes, this is the same beautiful prom girl! wink. wink.

Thanks for the great mother's day!

Love you.



4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! I received breakfast in bed from two very excited delivery boys who showered me with handmade gifts, kisses, and hugs. Carter also made me a sweet, Habee Muthers Dai card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Habee Muther's Dai cards are the best! I just saw an unrelated story about a woman who showed a pretty box that had 29 Mother's Day cards in it. They were all from her only daughter. I thought it was so special to have put all of her Mother's Day cards in one pretty tin box each year. A new tradition for you perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. All in one pretty tin box...Wow! I've saved my cards, but they're everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea. I will start shopping around for the perfect box at all the little shops I like to visit.

    ReplyDelete