Monday, April 26, 2010

art-full

The husband and I met during our first semester of college. We were in an art class together. We were both fine arts majors creating...art. We painted, sculpted and sketched our way through the beginning of what would be our life together. A few competitive moments shined through during that first art class, he usually came out victorious except for one fine drawing that I still like to remind him of occasionally. Eggs! Plain and simple, my still life of eggs was much better than his. He eventually changed his major and went a completely different route. Although somewhat artistic in nature, he just sculpts life in a different way.
And painting?...he still wins.

We passed along some artistic genes to our kids and certainly love it when they shine too. Moving to a new state and a new school (at semester) during your high school years can be a challenge. But, these two have taken on this new adventure with great gusto. After just a couple of months, Rachel painted and sketched her way to art victory. She was one of a group of students that won art awards at the "Celebration of the Arts" achievement night. They recognized the students on stage in the very nice performing arts auditorium at the high school. The local arts guild members were there to give out "art-filled" gift bags for each of the winners and a nice certificate. Go Rachel!

Her complimentary colors painting. See how she has been influenced by the landscape around us?

As a final project, they were assigned to make yard art out of recycled items. She and a classmate painted this old screen door. They were inspired by the warm spring day and had fun!

First semester back in Montrose, Leah had taken a pottery class which she absolutely loved. She was so inspired in the class and has really taken a love for throwing clay on the wheel. Her Dad had his own wheel that he had built from a kit in high school. He and I both took some pottery lessons from a potter in Montrose about 10 years ago. We use the bowls that we made every day. So, it is no surprise that she developed a real feel for clay. She had one piece that she had worked on before the Christmas break that she was so excited about and proud of. Sadly, it had not gotten fired before we had to leave with the moving truck. She was very heartbroken.

One of the best things about living in a small town is knowing so many people and having those relationships. I happen to be good friends with the mother of her pottery teacher. So, I spoke to her and told her the situation. I asked if she would talk to her son. So she did. And he did. He found her piece...and promised to save it for her.

Not only did he save it for her...he brought it with him when he and his young family came to Phoenix for spring break a few weeks ago. He hand delivered her hand made piece of pottery.

Isn't that the best! Teachers need our praise.
Art is worth celebrating...isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. I was going to offer Holly's help in getting Leah's pottery until I finished the piece and realized it had been delivered. How nice of their teacher!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celebrate teachers, celebrate art! I like that.

    ReplyDelete