Tuesday, April 13, 2010

five and two

Late this morning I was leaving the house to run some errands. As I went out the door I glanced over and saw the little "mama" sitting in the planter. I dug out my camera and zoomed in as closely as I could without frightening her away. She seemed to be o.k. with me taking her picture as I was standing in the corner of the patio. I was happy to see her there, because I was worried that she was just laying the eggs to be laying them and not planning to hatch them. I had not seen her sitting on them to keep them warm. Maybe she doesn't need to since the weather is already warm?

Peek a boo...


So, as promised I did my research.

They are Gambel's Quail, common to this area. They are also known as Top Knot or Desert Quail. I like the name Top Knot because Chuck used to call the girl's "top knot", when I would put a little water fountain ponytail on top of their heads. (cute memory).

They usually lay a clutch of 10-15 eggs, which hatch after 21-24 days incubation. The chicks are "precocial", which means they will leave the nest with their parents within hours of hatching.( I can't believe that). I hope I'm around the day they hatch so I don't miss getting their picture. Predators of the little eggs are (gasp) rattlesnakes, gila monsters, great horned owls and bobcats. Any of these sound familiar? I hope the fact that they are under the shelter of the patio and up off the ground will help them to stay safe.

This afternoon when I got home I went over to peek in and check on things.

Guess what?

Five and two make:
Seven!

don't you love how each one is different? and do you suppose there will be more because it says they lay a clutch of 10-15? is it common that they lay them over the course of several days? does that mean they will hatch on different days? i am keeping a count on my calendar.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see how this saga plays out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little friend is much neater than mine! Wish I could post a picture here, but I'll send an email. A dove is nesting on top of the floppy fan on my patio, and a mallard couple is hanging out by the pool. Spring is in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Brenda...You made me laugh until I cried!

    ReplyDelete