Friday, April 23, 2010

more than a day

Shouldn't Earth Day be more than just a day.
Perhaps it should be Earth Week, Earth Month or Earth Year.
Maybe even Earth for Life.

In the town we came from recycling was pretty evident. We ourselves had trash cans in our garage where all of our aluminum, tin, glass and plastic went. We had crates in our back closet for newspapers, magazines and catalogs. Sometimes it got to be a big mess when the bins would over flow. Every couple of months it was all loaded into the old pick up truck and hauled off to the re-cycle center. Here we have curb side pick up. We have a nice big blue trash can for recycle stuff and everything can go in together, no sorting. The regular trash cans are tan.
I don't see many blue one's in the neighborhood.

One of the most noticeable ways that people were doing their part in Montrose, was with re-useable grocery sacks. The clerks rarely had to say "paper or plastic", because most people brought in their own. I would feel a little embarrassed to walk out with my cart loaded with plastic bags, if I had forgotten my re-useable sacks. It had become habit and there was rarely a time when I would forget to bring them with me. And really, they are so much easier to carry. No thin handles that break with everything droping to the ground. Admit it, you have had that happen to you.

Here, it is rare to see anyone with re-useable sacks. I have been pretty surprised really. The clerks are rather intrigued by my assortment of sacks and always comment on them and ask "what is City Market, I've never seen that before?" I feel pretty proud to say, "on the western slope of Colorado where everybody shops and uses sacks like this". I have even asked, "don't people use re-useable sacks around here?" The reply has been... "it just hasn't caught on."

Maybe it is just this area where we are living. I do see people using them at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Ok people of Arizona that shop at Safeway, Albertson's and Basha's....

it is time to catch on.




5 comments:

  1. What a good example you're setting in sunny AZ. I've been bad lately about remembering to take my bags out of the house and back into the car. I feel guilty walking to the car with by cart full of plastic bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We mostly take our own bags to the store, also. My favorite are the three Halloween bags that hold lots of items. Shopping is always a little scary when they ring up the total, so bags featuring bats and things that go bump in the night seem appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot my bags tonight for a late night expedition to the grocery store. Usually my assortment of Sprouts (green), Kroger (black), and Target (red) bags go with me. They do stand up nicely and hold so much more than the plastic variety. Tom Thumb in Plano donated 100 reuseale sacks to our second grade students this week. They each went home with one:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took my reusable grocery sacks to the store today. Thanks Aunt Norma. I thought of you when helping the young man bag my groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey...I see a matching bag to one of mine...
    miss you

    deb

    ReplyDelete