Saturday, June 19, 2010

just don't feed them any tuna

Back in 1999, in Montrose, someone left a litter of kittens on the corner by our house. It actually happened several times when we were first living there, but this particular time the kittens found their way closer to our house. The kids and I spotted them and thought they were cute and fun to watch. That night, The Dad, told us not to feed them because he didn't want them to stick around. Two of them just kept hanging around. They were small and skinny. Well... a week later, while we were at the dinner table, he said, "I can't believe those kittens are still hanging around." Rachel, at her cute young age, blurted out..."well that's because they like tuna fish so much!" And that is how we got our two cats, eventually just one, Fidgit, who was adopted by my sister's kids when we moved.

If you have been keeping up with my blog you know about the bob cat that Leah and I saw the other day when we were in the pool. I didn't have my camera with me, because I was... well, swimming. So I didn't get a picture to go along with the story.

No problem. She showed back up this morning.


Along with her babies!!!!


Four of them to be exact. We watched them through the window as they wrestled, rolled and played with each other. These two tumbled around for quite awhile.

And then one of the others spotted them.

And leaped right over the two of them!

They scampered around while the Momma kept a close watch on them. I actually think she saw us, but it didn't seem to matter. Rachel was taking these pictures as Leah and I watched. The Dad is at work today.


A couple of them had fun climbing the palm tree. This one seemed to be the most brave or adventurous of them all.

He kept trying and trying and finally got pretty high. The other one just couldn't keep up.

At this point he looked down and we thought he was probably thinking..."uh oh, now what?"

But he managed to work his way back down.

With a little encouragement from a sibling.

Momma finally came out of the bushes to check in on them.

I guess she thought they had gotten dirty and needed a little cleaning up.


Here is another look at that little guy climbing the tree.

And this shy one peeking out around the flowers.

They are pretty darn cute. My brother-in-law, from California, called after we had our wild life experience this morning. I updated him on all this wild life we have had in our yard. He said you are living out there in "the transition zone" you know. Transition between big city and wide open desert land. That brought to mind the Alfred Hitchcock post. So now we know....we are living in...(in a sinister voice)..."the transition zone."

I texted Chuck and said, "what's in your backyard this morning?" We then texted him a photo of the little kittens.

His response..."just don't feed them any tuna fish."


7 comments:

  1. Meow...they really are pretty darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute story! I kept waiting to hear Rachel blurt out the reason why the bobcats are still hanging around was because they loved tuna fish so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you talked to any of your neighbors to see if they have had any these visitors, too? It may be all your great vegetation that draws them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you might have a bigger problem when prospective suitors (the next daddy) come calling!
    Perhaps it's time to consult a wildlife expert. I wonder if male bobcats mark their territory like tom cats... if so get ready for some stinky times!!
    Are you offering field (nature) trips to your house yet? Perhaps a bus tour! Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love a tour... except I'd be the one to encounter the "first" rattlesnake!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bobcats are great at stopping tiny yappin neighbor dogs, who incessantly bark, as well.

    ReplyDelete