Tuesday, June 15, 2010

just passing through

Remember this guy? He arrived with all the rain we were getting during the "winter". We have not seen any Bobcats since then. Until yesterday....

Leah and I were in the pool in the afternoon. She is my personal trainer and is trying to train my body into some kind of better shape! I just happened to look over towards the patio. I turned Leah so she would see it too and quietly said..."Leeeeah". I knew she had seen it when she said..."mommmmmm". Walking just as nonchalant as could be, along the stretch of the patio, around the table and chairs, just as if he belonged there, a nice little BOBCAT! He reminded us of our cat Fidgit sauntering along just as calmly as could be. Leah said , "let's move to the center of the pool so he can't get us". I know that cats don't really like water so I figured we were "safe" in the water. And I'm also thinking, seriously? In the back yard? In the middle of the day? While we are out here? Are you kidding me?

So here we are in the middle of the pool staring at him. And yep, he turned and stared at us. He even did a little snarl/meow gesture at us. He jumped up onto the wall by the built in grill and then casually sat down. He did a couple more snarl/meows and just sat right there in the sun. He was, of course, between us and any door into the house, so I said "we might get prune skin before we ever get out of here." (and admittedly I was wishing I would have had my camera, but I was in the pool and water and cameras don't mix) . Leah clapped her hands a few time's, which didn't seem to phase him. Finally, he got up and jumped up to the next ledge, hung out there for a minute and then jumped down behind the wall. We didn't see him for a minute or so, and we said, "great...he will probably lay down in the shade and stay there awhile". Eventually though, he slowly appeared and walked along the rock pathway towards the studio building. Just as casually as he appeared, he disappeared from our sight.

Again, I will say... "are you kidding me?"

5 comments:

  1. Wild! I'm glad he didn't hang out in the shade then pounce when you were tired from your workout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need to keep a "BobCat Blaster"(water gun) loaded & at pool side.... Thanks for letting
    me enjoy all your adventures... Gail from PA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what he thought he might find in your backyard in the middle of the afternoon...a couple of bathing beauties, I guess. Great idea, Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gail!! I had been wondering who my PA visitor was. I think your idea is a great one! I will be getting a BobCat blaster. Any suggestions for the snakes? Mrs. Cheek, I heard the little sarcasm in your voice about me being tired from my work out! Helen, we are working on the beauty part. Karen, that might have been a more clever title for my post.

    ReplyDelete