Thursday, July 29, 2010

no bugs

At some point during the time that we were looking at houses and contemplating our move to Arizona, I swear someone told me there weren't any bugs here in the summer. Upon reflection, I think that it was a statement like "there aren't any mosquito's here because it is too hot." But, I think I heard..."there aren't any bugs here because it is too hot." So, you can imagine, beyond the whole wildlife extravaganza that we seem to be honorary private members to, how happy I am to report that," yes, indeed there are bugs here"! And they are of enormous proportions. They seem to be on a cycle. Here for a couple of weeks and then gone. Something new here for a couple of weeks, then gone. We have seen some things that we have never seen before.
Like this gem.
It is the Palo Verde Beetle. One of the largest beetles in N. America and can grow to 6-8 inches in length. (which means that this guy, who was about 3-4 inches in length, was a bit stunted in growth. poor thing.) They have long antennae (check) and spines on the neck (check). They are dark brown or black in color. (check) They feed on roots of the Palo Verde Tree (yep we have those). Adults come out in the summer, in early evening, usually in July.(check)

A couple of weeks ago, when the Reptile Wrangler/Cat chaser/Bug Exterminator/Dad, was away for the week... we girls were left here to fend for ourselves. The Bobcats returned and stayed in the yard for the entire week. We saw another King Snake and had a little scare with the wind and a door opening and closing sporadically. Are you following our anxiety level here? We had gone to the Nana's for dinner and came home after dark. Before leaving we had put the pool shark in to sweep the pool. So...we had to go outside and get it. After dark. We went out as a force of three, armed with flashlights and pool noodles. After dark. Leah and I were shining our flashlights around the yard to keep the Bobcats away. Brave Rachel went over to the pool to get the sweeper out. From behind, Leah and I heard a scraping/scratching sound and turned around. Just INCHES from our backs was that giant BEETLE guy in the picture above. Oh yes, we screamed. A little. After we got over our initial bug induced heart palpitations, we decided we needed to get the camera. We quickly emptied the "pot" that we have our sunscreen collection in and tipped it upside down over the bug to keep him contained. And then we decided, why not shoot a little video? So we did. And then Rachel decided to have a little fun editing her video.

So she did.

(be sure to turn the volume down so you don't get blasted. however, you do want to listen as well as watch.)



Having a little fun takes the bugginess out of the whole situation...don't you think?

post edit. For those of you old enough to have watched the Ed Sullivan show...I should have named this post...
"a really big shoe".

2 comments:

  1. Love it all! Love you all! Makes me laugh. Sorry I missed ALL the excitement...bobcats, baby quail, and the BEETLE. I went home a little too soon. Love, the Mom's sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you are finding these things outside the house!

    ReplyDelete