because I'm about to become an honorary member.
Yesterday afternoon was something. First of all, the oriole has been around the backyard every day. The nest is still way up in the palm tree, so I'm assuming there are some eggs in there. This bird is so bright and pretty.
Here is the courtyard by the front doors. You will recognize the potted plant where mama quail is still nesting. And to the left, above the brick column is the dove's nest. Her eggs are still there, but she isn't around much. She was so flighty and would scare the heck out of us when we would walk by and I'm wondering if she is still interested in her nest. On the other hand, the mama quail is mostly calm. She will just sit right there while I slowly walk up and peek at her.
We added a sign. At first it said "Beware of Bird"...warning people that walked in to the courtyard, because when the dove and sometimes the mama quail would come flying out of the nests, it would scare you to death. But after yesterday, I decided it needed a new message....
Another look at the dove's nest way above the rest.
Here are her eggs.
And a reminder of the mama quail's collection. Still twelve. Still there.
And here is something new. This plant is in the corner by the door. After walking out several times and hearing that familiar helicopter sound of the hummingbird, I looked around a bit. And to my surprise...
Look at this! Look back at the photo above. See it? On the bottom leaf on the right hand side. Is that not cute?
But this is much cuter! Tiny, tiny eggs!
We were so amazed and excited! I knew I would never get a picture of her on her nest since every time I walked outside I could hear her humming and dashing away quickly. So, I went inside and did my best to focus through the little window of the door. It is a challenge since it is a glass window and a screen and metal door. But, I was able to get a few hazy photos.
The nest.
Patiently waiting... the little mama hummingbird.
She could actually hear the click of my camera and would fly off pretty quickly. But I got a couple. How cute huh?

So, back to the commotion. After getting the pictures of the hummingbird, I heard a big squawking and screeching sound in the back. I looked at Rachel and her eyes were wide. We both were saying..."what is THAT?" I had never heard anything like it before. Along with the squawking noise there was big flapping and rustling sound too. So, still with my camera in hand from the sweet little hummingbird, I stepped out the back door. It was coming from the big palm trees and I could actually see something dark up in the palms and could see a big turmoil of sorts. It was really noisy and lots of flapping going on. As we walked a bit closer it settled down. We had the small camera on record, but I think we interrupted what was going on so they had quieted down. We spotted this guy.
And another one. I think it is the same kind of hawk that we have seen before. This one stayed here where it was. Look at its claws!
It was turning around looking at us. The other one disappeared into the thick part of the leaves again and there was another big commotion and lots of flapping.
And then they took off. There were two that came out of our trees and two more that were circling from the neighbors trees. Look close at this one. It has something in its beak.
They just kept circling and screeching.
And then...darn it because we missed it with the camera...out of the tree where the commotion had happened, a big owl flew out with a big burst of its wings. So, the hawks must have been after the baby owls that we suspect are up there and the owl was trying to fight them off! Literally fighting. You've heard a cat fight before... well, that is how I can describe the sound and commotion. Only more noise. A bird fight. The screeching and hollering and the flapping of wings against all the palm fronds was pretty impressive.
And you know the whole time I'm looking up at the sky and the trees, I'm constantly checking around my feet for long skinny hissing creatures and looking over my shoulder for hairy snorting pig like creatures. I keep my eyes focused for darting lizards and sneaky cats.
I don't know...being a member of the Audubon Society might be too exhausting. But, I would much rather see the birds and the little eggs and hope for hatchlings... than see a snake.
Your blog-blogging has turned in to tweet-tweeting.
ReplyDeleteThe hummingbird nest and eggs are so cute. Hopefully we'll see some teeny tiny hummingbirds soon.
ReplyDelete