It is spring and the birds are busy.
The temptation to peek in and see how many eggs the momma quail has left in the planter is too tempting. I try to ignore them. I do not look every day, hoping to lessen the disappointment if something gets to them before they hatch. But, this morning, I did take a peek and saw that she has been busy. Nine perfectly cute little eggs. I do not see the mom and pop quail around very much at all. It puzzles me that she doesn't really sit on her eggs much. I'm guessing it is because they stay warm enough with the outside temperatures reaching 90 most days. Or, is that her strategy too. Stay away so that there isn't as much attention drawn to them. So no one will know they are there.
But, as I said, for me it is hard to completely ignore them.
Kinda like it is hard for me to ignore these little eggs.
It kills me every year at this time. I try to keep walking and ignore the entire aisle completely, but...the temptation is just too much! They are my complete downfall when it comes to candy. I sneak them away every year. Hiding them from little eyes. Keeping them just for me. Eating them one by one. Making them last until the bunny brings the kids their own. And then, anxiously wait for someone to say..."Here Mom...want some of these?"
You know what is harder than resisting the urge to make a beeline for the eggstra special candy aisle this time of year?
It is remembering to check the mirror to make sure I don't have that chalky white ring on my lips from the delicious crunchy shell!
I'm another robin egg fan.
ReplyDeleteI haven't given these little treats any thought so far this year, but now after your blog post I feel like it might be tough to stop! Thanks a lot Auntie Norma!
ReplyDelete