Yesterday was a big wildlife day in the ol' yard. It started out with a visit from one of the bobcats, but I am going to save that for another day. Then I got some pictures of the busy mommas in the front courtyard.
Here is the view from our bedroom window. Do you see the planter up on the cement block?That is where the momma quail has her little nest of eggs. Then high above her on the first brick post you can see another mother.

It is one of the many dove's that are around this yard. One of them did the same thing last year, in the same place, although it didn't last very long. These pictures were taken through the window as the dove is very flighty and takes off as soon as you go out the door.

Which, is how I got this picture yesterday while I was out sweeping the front patio. She flew off as soon as I went out the door. S0, curious as I am... I stood on a chair and just stretched my arm way up. I couldn't actually see in the nest, but after snapping the pictures and looking at the camera screen, I saw that there are indeed two little eggs.

And here is the quail momma. She has been sitting on her eggs quite a lot lately. She isn't as bothered by us walking around out there and only takes off if you get too close. I zoomed in on her while she just sat and eyed me.

And then when she flew off I saw that there are still twelve eggs and she has added more soft feathers around them. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I've been trying to get a picture of this guy. The cardinals are quick birds that just don't stay in one place long. I put a tray of bird seed out and that did the trick.

But, as quickly as he appeared... he flew off.

On another pass through the backyard I heard a lot of singing from the palm trees. I looked up and saw this nest. The bird was by it but when I went in to get my camera it had flown off.

However, it hadn't gone far. Just over to the other palm tree. There were two of them singing back and forth (probably talking about me) but I couldn't ever see the other one. When I uploaded my pictures though, I think that I could see a tiny little bit of yellow back behind the nest. Unfortunately, I chose the wrong photo to add to this post so you can't see it in this one.

I believe this is an oriole. They are so pretty and they sing quite nicely too.

He was singing back and forth with the other one.

And then there were these two little guys right on a branch/frond right behind the oriole. And they were singing like crazy too. It was just a nice afternoon seeing all of these pretty birds and hearing them constantly singing and chirping. I was feeling pretty happy. Loving the outdoors and enjoying the beautiful weather.

And then I saw this!

Ya, I see you looking at me.

For the rest of the afternoon I was constantly looking down around my feet and legs. Every time I would stand still for just a few seconds I would literally feel goosebumps on my legs and then panic. Way to ruin an otherwise pleasant day Mr. King snake!
So, I have now resumed my bobcat, snake, lizard, rodent anti-get-me routine. When you hear someone stomping their feet, clapping their hands, occasionally jumping up and down while shouting "here I come...go away...!" you know it is just me.
I hope they hear me too.
We've had some wildlife sightings around here too. Three mallards landed in the pool yesterday...sounded and looked like the guys were fighting over the girl. Received a message from the HOA about a bobcat sighting in the neighborhood.
ReplyDeleteLions and tigers and bears, oh my!
ReplyDeleteKeep your ruby slippers handy.