Wednesday, August 17, 2011

everything but the kitchen sink

I have a few blogs that I like to read and I usually check in on them every day to see what's new. It is how I got interested in starting my own blog. Oh, and the fact that a certain niece of mine agreed that if she started a blog I would too, or if I started a blog she would too... something like that. She started hers first and inspired me to get one going myself. And I say to her now... where is yours?
Anyway, when we moved, I started 'the fourth corner'. I thought it would be a fun way to chronicle our move from Colorado to Arizona and help me to focus on the new things in my life rather than everything that was left behind. For any newcomers to my blog, the name came to me when I first made the trip here to look for a house. I realized, as I was nervous and sweaty riding in the car with the realtor, ( nervous because I was, sweaty because it was still 104 in October!) looking at house after house, wondering..."what the heck? we are moving?". Anyway, it was then that it occurred to me that the husband and I had met in New Mexico during our college years. Got married. Then, post college, moved to Utah for the training years. Had our first baby and then moved to Colorado to set up life. Two more babies and almost twenty years later, a sort-of career change, and then this move to Arizona. New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, the four corner states. So here we are rounding out life in the fourth corner.

Back to checking in on my favorite blogs. As I was clicking though them this morning, there were several that hadn't had a new post in a few days. I was disappointed. So, I thought, "gosh, my blog might be a favorite blog for some of you to read. In fact, I think I know this might be the only blog some of you read (wink wink) so again, I thought, (I like to do that sometimes) maybe some of you get disappointed if I don't have a new post for you to read every time you check in?" Assuming you check in often, I decided I should post a little more regularly.

I browsed through my photo's and came across these from last summer. Mom had been out visiting and we took a ride to a little town close by. We walked around and had lunch and as we were leaving we saw this interesting horse statue.

Made from really cool, rusty, shiny, discarded, metal stuff. Some might call it junk. We had to get out of the car to get a closer look. By the way, it was really big!

Kitchen utensils at the bottom of his tail all whispy like in the blowing breeze. Hello leg and toes with the cute red polish.


Tractor seat, door knocker, egg beater, chains...

More forks and knives on his mane. Barbed wire...

Washing machine, bed pan, oil can, bucket, lid, more chain, shoemaker form, oil can, toaster...

Horse shoe, scoop, wire, license plate...

Water bucket, meat tenderizer hammer thingy....
Bumpers,(hi Mom!) chains again, rear view mirrors (ha, get it? rear view mirror)...

And...me!
It was really fascinating to point out all the different objects. There were things as small as keys and the largest being the washing machine. Wheels, hubcaps, door knobs, handles, switch plates, and more that I can't remember.

Honestly, don't you think more things should be made out of discarded junk?I wouldn't mind something like this in my yard. Well, maybe not this big. Of course, I'm kind of partial to rusty
metal yard art.

I wonder if the artist that made that horse was a country music lover. Or jazz. Opera? Maybe the oldies? Rock and roll?

I bet heavy metal.

3 comments:

  1. I think I heard the drummer play bu-dump-chshhhh after that last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, in my head I was formulating the comment I would leave before finishing the post and it involved the ba-dump-chshhh sound. I guess I didn't check your blog soon enough today.

    I have been thinking of getting back to my blog. You know to keep everyone updated with baby news, and first days of second grade and Kinder, but I really need these boys to get back to school before I can concentrate on anything other than, "Pick up your room."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see your shiny horse picture appear on your blog. I know Mom has been waiting for them too. Clever connection! I love your photos and your writing. Yes, I check nearly everyday. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete