Monday, August 22, 2011

libellula saturata

Flame Skimmer
Firecracker Skimmer

Orange dragonfly is what we call it. Sure enough, if you google orange dragonfly, you will find that the "Flame Skimmer" is a common dragonfly of the family Libellulidae, native to western North America. Or relatively speaking... the kind of dragonfly found in our backyard. Known to fly around the pool, occasionally dipping its 'hind quarters' in the water, but most often found resting on the spiky leaves of this potted plant.
Having only ever seen the blue/green variety of dragonflies, last summer, when seeing this red/orange type hanging around our pool, I referred to it as the "dragonfly who had too much sun exposure".

But no, it isn't a dragonfly who should be wearing sunscreen while hanging around the pool in Arizona, rather... a Flame Skimmer. Although, I would say...Water Skimmer would be a more appropriate name, as it likes to fly over the cool blue pool water, quickly diving down and "skimming" its tail across the water. We have thought that it is probably needing a quick cool drink on these hot days. Although, after reading about these guys, it seems that if this is a female...it might be laying her eggs as it says "...the female will fly off alone to lay her eggs. She does this by hovering over small streams or ponds and dipping the end of her abdomen into the water. "

Ackkk! To keep my self from thinking that I might be ingesting the eggs of Flame Skimmer dragonflies, while accidentally gulping a small amount of water during an intense game of subs*, I have to concentrate on the fact that this is probably a male.

The females are supposedly a darker medium brown with yellow markings. This is clearly a male who is known to be entirely red or dark orange in color. Including eyes, legs, and even wing veins. Right? Male? Not female depositing her eggs in the pool water. (if you click on this photo it should enlarge. In so doing, you can see some interesting neck parts.)

You are a male. Besides, it's a pool, not a small stream or pond. I do like those double wings.

And big beady eyes. And those tiny claw feet looking like it's hanging on for dear life.

Interesting juxtaposition here. As I was intently focused on the dragonfly, this biplane flew over the house. Biplane/dragonfly. It did not, however, dive down and dip its tail in our pool.
Similar wings though.
Kind of pretty, actually.

Yes you. I said your wings are kind of pretty. And...I think I had great photo skills yesterday. Wait... dragonfly? Are you smiling at me?

Why yes...I think you are!
I like you.
Especially if you are the male.
Not the female... depositing eggs in the pool.


*subs is a water game wherein players sometimes accidentally gulp water when trying to sneakily swim away from their opponent.

2 comments:

  1. Can you think of the eggs as a gourmet dragonfly caviar treat? Does that make it easier to swallow...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These really are amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete