Monday, August 1, 2011

twenty-nine on the thirty-first

Yesterday was our anniversary.
To celebrate we took our two favorite girls to Flagstaff for a day of hiking.
We went to the Kachina Peaks Wilderness area. It was beautiful. And cool. Meaning 'cool' as in the temperature was a wonderful 70 degrees. Ahhhh. A welcome relief from the one hundred and who knows what temperatures that have been goin' on lately. It was a tad balmy, as the sky was looking like a little rain might happen.

Shhh. Do you smell that? The lovely smell of pine trees. And grass. And forest sap. and mushrooms. And wildflowers. And moss. And dirt. Okay. You get the idea. The great smell that a wooded area has to offer.

And all these lush fern.
It was like a rain forest with pine trees and aspen all in one. The paths were pretty steep in areas and flat open in others. We had to climb over rocks and tree roots. The views were great. And did I mention the cool air? It was a pretty good hike for these two creaky knees of mine.
So I had a little help.
Just kidding. The piggy back ride was just for the picture. I made it on my own two feet, thank-you very much.
We enjoyed the aspen trees. We miss seeing them as often as we did in Colorado.



And someone found a perfect spot for a pine cone.
Leah, little miss adventure girl, took every opportunity to scale a boulder, climb a tree, or jump off a rock.
Pine cones. Love.
Butterfly. Love.
The hubs and I. Love.
Heart. Love

The clouds did open up and shower us with a nice rain for a little while. It reminded us of that evening, 29 years ago, when torrential rain delayed our wedding just a wee bit.

It was a happy anniversary.
Love.

post afterthought: we did not carve the heart in the aspen tree. There were a lot of initials and dates and hearts carved into many of the trees already.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a fun outing for your anniversary. Congratulations. We are jealous of the cool air and rain that you enjoyed.

    Speaking of wildlife...I was having my lunch at the kitchen table and looked out the window to see a pot bellied pig and his dog companion in the front yard. By the time I dug out my camera, they were sauntering off. The parting shot I got confirmed the maleness of the pig. Also, for the second morning in a row, there is evidence of an armadillo digging in a trail across the back yard. The hunter in our house is starting to think he might have to stake out the back yard tonight. Everything seems to be searching for moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you were out having fun when I called. Beautiful area! Again, congratulations on your anniversary.

    ReplyDelete