I finished reading the book for the second time and yesterday afternoon I saw the movie. A few thoughts:
1. I can't remember the last time I went to a matinee. Besides what appeared to be a book club group of friends, we may have been the youngest people there.
2. I took the husband, who has not read the book, with me. Like a date. In the middle of the day.
3. When the first mention of the "terrible awful" came, up he started asking questions. I had to say "shhh...you'll find out", a couple of times.
4. I had a bit of a hard time at first getting used to the characters. I had my own vision of what they looked like and it just didn't seem to jive for me at first. But once I got used to them, they seemed just right. ( fact: the actress who plays Hilly Holbrook is Ron Howard's Daughter.)
5. It covered all emotions. Funny. Touching. Sad.
6. The husband enjoyed it, even though he hadn't read the book.
7. There is just something about the cars and women's dresses from the 60's.
8. I think they goofed with the can of Crisco that Minny is holding. It looks like they bought it at Safeway in 2011. Details.
9. I liked the book better but, I really enjoyed the movie. I'm sure there will be some Oscar nominations. You will like the movie too.
10. Little Mae Mobley choked me up at the end. So did Aibileen.
"You is kind. You is smart. You is important." ~Aibileen
I can't wait to see the movie. It's been so horribly hot here that people are going to the movies by the hundreds. Last time I went Carter, Evan, and had such horrible seats I let Carter & Evan sit on the stairs. Maybe I'll get to go soon when everyone else goes back to school.
ReplyDeleteMark and I went to the Sunday matinee. It was sold out and the audience clapped at the end. There was a collective gasp when Minnie fell when trying to run for home. It was nice to feel the empathy of the audience.
ReplyDeleteAt the opening credits there was a public service announcement for the American Cancer Society and their 1-800-227-2345 number. I thought "good" since I just visited that national call center in Austin on Saturday. In the movie when the newspaper man was interviewing Skeeter for a job, the secretary had escorted her in with her cigarette wedged in the V of her fingers. When she walked out, the news guy said something like "someday they're going to figure out those things can kill you." I loved it. Thanks for the plug for ACS and the smoking cessation campaign.
The book was well worth the time it took to read it and the movie did the book justice. And that's not always easy to do.